In the book, Damages, author Barry Werth says, "[Joel] Lichtenstein had ... a psychiatrist's empathy, a banker's perspicacity, a doctor's concern..."
Joel has devoted his entire legal career to handling medical malpractice cases. To date, he has reviewed more than 30,000 medical malpractice files.
For more than 45 years Joel has led Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder's medical malpractice investigation team. Joel is well known for his medical knowledge and his ability to analyze complex medical problems and malpractice cases.
Joel was a contributor to the President's Commission on medical malpractice concerning medical malpractice in the 1970s. Prior to joining Koskoff, he worked for five years at a leading plaintiff's firm in New York, and then served as Executive Vice President and Head of Claims for a New York insurance company, in charge of medical malpractice litigation.
Joel has been a frequent lecturer to trial lawyer groups on issues relating to the investigation and detection of medical malpractice. He has also lectured to hospital and medical societies concerning liability issues.
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- Connecticut, 1975
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- Martindale-Hubbell Rated AV, Highest Rating for Attorneys
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, Former Board of Examiners
- Connecticut Bar Association, Past Chairman, Medical Legal Committee
- American Association for Justice, Professional Negligence, Founding Member and Chair, 1998 to 1999
- American Association for Justice, Birth Trauma Litigation Group, Founding Member and Chair, 1993 to 1996
- American Association for Justice, Advanced College of Advocacy, Faculty Member, 1979 to 1980
Pro Bono Activities
- Board of Directors, UJA/FEDERATION of Eastern Fairfield County
- Board of Directors, Congregation Beth El of Fairfield