More than three decades ago, Preston began his legal career at Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder. He left in 1977 to pursue other legal and civic ventures. Preston's legal accomplishments and his devotion to community service make him a welcome addition back to Koskoff, Koskoff & Bieder.
Most recently, Preston served as the Director of Special Public Defenders for the State of Connecticut, Office of Chief Public Defender. Preston held this position since its inception and administered and managed all Special Public Defender operations and functions within the Division of Public Defender Services. Before this appointment, Preston headed the Fairfield Judicial District Public Defender's Office. As a member of the Division of Public Defender Services, he also held positions at GA 2 - Bridgeport and at GA 6 - New Haven. During his 28 years with the Division, he handled thousands of cases and amassed an extensive trial resume.
Preston serves on the Connecticut Commission on Racial and Ethnic Disparity in the Criminal Justice System. He is a member of the Quinnipiac University School of Law Dean's Council and has served as a faculty member of both the National Defender Training Project and the Connecticut Bar Association (CBA) Continuing Legal Education Program. He has also served on the Connecticut Supreme Court Chief Justice's Criminal Justice Committee, on the Connecticut Hate Crimes Advisory Committee, as a past Treasurer of the CBA, and on the CBA Task Force on Mentoring. He currently serves on the CBA Professionalism and CLE Committee.
In other civic capacities, Preston serves as the Chairperson of the Regional Youth/Adult Social Action Partnership (RYASAP), the Corporate Secretary of the Greater Bridgeport Symphony Board of Trustees, the Bridgeport Public Education Fund, Inc. Board of Directors, the Family ReEntry Board of Directors, the Westport Country Playhouse Board of Trustees, the Bridgeport Child Advocacy Coalition (BCAC) Board of Directors, the FSW (formerly Family Services Woodfield) Board of Directors and he is the Vice-Chairman and past Chairman of the Central Connecticut Coast YMCA. He also serves on the Center for Children's Advocacy Advisory Board.
Preston graduated from Brown University and the New York University School of Law. He is currently the President-Elect of the Brown Alumni Association. He has served on the Brown University President's Leadership Council and on the President’s Advisory Councils on Admission and Diversity and the University’s Association of Class Leaders Board of Advisors. He is a Past-President of the Inman Page Black Alumni Council of Brown University, and he serves and on the Brown Club of Fairfield County Board of Directors. In 2011, Preston received the first Joseph M. Fernandez '85 Award at Brown University.
- Connecticut, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1995
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- Brown University
- Honors: Received the First Joseph M. Fernandez '85 Award
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Special Public Defenders for the State of Connecticut, Office of Chief Public Defender, Director
- Quinnipiac University School of Law , Member
- CBA, Past Treasurer
- CBA Professionalism
- CLE Committee
- Regional Youth/Adult Social Action Partnership (RYASAP), Chairperson
- Greater Bridgeport Symphony Board of Trustees, Corporate Secretary
- Bridgeport Public Education Fund, Inc., Board of Directors
- Family ReEntry Board of Directors
- Westport Country Playhouse, Board of Trustees
- Bridgeport Child Advocacy Coalition (BCAC) , Board of Directors
- FSW (formerly Family Services Woodfield) , Board of Directors
- Central Connecticut Coast YMCA, Vice-Chairman and Past Chairman
- Center for Children's Advocacy Advisory Board
- Brown University President's Leadership Council
- Inman Page Black Alumni Council of Brown University, Past-President
Pro Bono Activities
- Brown Club of Fairfield County Board of Directors