For more than 25 years Joel has led Koskoff Koskoff & Bieder's medical malpractice investigation team. Annually he confers with new medical malpractice clients, reviews tens of thousands of pages of hospital and medical records, and consults with medical experts throughout the United States and several foreign countries. Joel is well known for his medical knowledge and his ability to analyze complex medical problems and malpractice cases.
In the book, Damages, author Barry Werth says, "Lichtenstein had … a psychiatrist's empathy, a banker's perspicacity, a doctor's concern…"
Joel was a contributor to the President's Commission on medical malpractice concerning medical malpractice in the 1970s. Prior to joining Koskoff, Koskoff and Bieder, he served for five years as Vice President of a New York insurance company, in charge of medical malpractice litigation.
Joel Lichtenstein has been a frequent lecturer to trial lawyer groups on issues relating to the investigation and detection of medical malpractice. He has also lectured to hospital and medical societies concerning liability issues.
Areas of Practice
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1980
- Connecticut, 1975
- Boston University School of Law, Boston, Massachusetts
- Frequent Lecturer, Trial Lawyer Groups on Issues Relating to the Investigation and Detection of Medical Malpractice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Board of Trial Advocacy, Former Board of Examiners
- Connecticut Bar Association, Past Chairman, Medical Legal Committee
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Past Board Member
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Bridgeport, Connecticut, Past Member, Judiciary Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association
- American Association for Justice, Advanced College of Advocacy, Faculty Member, 1979 - 1980
- American Association for Justice, Birth Trauma Litigation Group, Founding Member and Chair, 1993 - 1996
- American Association for Justice, Professional Negligence, Founding Member and Chair, 1998 - 1999